Opera Queensland respects the privacy of personal information you may provide to us.
The way we manage your personal information is governed by Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld) (Act) and the Information Privacy Principles (IPPs) established under the Act.
- What is personal information?
- Collecting personal information
2.1 What kind of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- your name;
- your contact details (address, telephone number(s) and email address);
- your date of birth;
- your gender;
- transactional information you provide when you make a purchase with us (for example, credit card details);
- any preferences you select;
- the areas you have visited on our website and how you have accessed our website e.g. via a link from one of our emails;
- disability or other information relating to your mobility that may affect your ability to attend our performance or determine the adjustments we may make to facilitate your attendance;
- personal information you provide when you commence a business relationship with us;
- any correspondence between you and us; and
- any other personal information you provide when you make an inquiry, request information, enter a competition, respond to marketing, lodge a complaint, provide feedback, seek employment with OQ or correspond with us.
- any other personal information you provide to us for the purposes of reporting to funding bodies, such as Australia Council and Arts Queensland.
- any other information we are required by law to collect.
2.2 Reasons for collecting your personal information
We collect your personal information to enable us to provide you with the products, services and information you request. In particular, we may collect your personal information to:
- determine your requirements in order to provide you with appropriate products and services;
- notify you of changes to performance details or cancelled performances;
- provide you with information about upcoming performances or events;
- process any communications you send to us (for example, responding to your queries, assessing your application for employment, and dealing with any complaints or feedback you have);
- identify you and protect you from unauthorised access to your personal information;
- where you have provided us with your consent – help us develop and improve the services to our patrons, for example by conducting marketing and research;
- get in touch with you if we need to;
- do anything which you authorise or consent to us doing; or
- take any action we are required or authorised by law to take.
In certain circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you in the course of combining and analysing different data sets which, in and of themselves, may not contain personal information.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, it is generally not possible for us to provide you with the products or services you have requested. Where it is lawful and practical to do so, we may allow you to deal with us anonymously.
2.3 How do we collect personal information
Wherever possible, we always try to collect personal information directly from you – for example, when you:
- become an email subscriber;
- purchase performance tickets from us – either online, over the phone, at the QTIX Box Office or authorised outlets;
- use our website;
- request information over the internet or telephone;
- enter a competition run by us; or
- correspond with us.
- provide us with your personal information for another purpose, in person, by email, by phone or over the internet.
We may also obtain your personal information from third parties we deal with, such as:
- event organisers, Promoters, performance companies, venues, sponsors and our business partners to whom you have provided your personal information; and
- from time to time, providers of third party applications which collect and share information.
We may also collect personal information from third parties you refer to us. If we do so, we will assume, and you will ensure, that you have made that third party aware of the referral and the purpose(s) of the collection, use and disclosure of the relevant personal information. When you communicate with OQ through social media sites or using applications provided by third parties (such as via your smart phone), we may collect your personal information from that communication. We assume that you have informed yourself of the ways in which such sites or applications can collect and disclose your personal information, and that you otherwise consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by such sites or applications (including disclosure to, and collection by, OQ).
- Disclosing your personal information
OQ will disclose your personal information to:
- Promoters or venues where it is necessary to ensure that they are able to provide the performance to you or to provide you with products and services that you have requested e.g. merchandise, or where you have consented to receive marketing materials from Promoters.
- any entity to which we are authorised or required by law to disclose your personal information (for example, law enforcement agencies, various Federal, State or Local Government bodies and public health agencies);
- our professional advisers, contractors or other service providers we engage to carry out (or advise on) our functions and activities – for example, our mail service providers, marketing consultants and insurers (who may be located in Australia or overseas);
- organisations who may assist us with detecting fraud;
- social media sites or applications;
- any specific parties which we have advised you of at the time we collect your personal information; and
- with your consent (express or implied) – other entities.
The above entities may in turn disclose your personal information to any other entities as described in their privacy policies or statements.
3.3 Direct marketing and subscriptions
We may also use your personal information to provide you with information about our products and services.
By applying to become an OQ email subscriber, you are taken to have consented to us sending you the requested newsletters and information (including via social media), and also other information about upcoming performances and other products and services offered by OQ.
Stopping marketing and promotional material from OQ
You may change your decision at any time in the future by contacting us (details below) or by changing your preferences in your online account. If you tell us you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional material from us, we will not send you any such material. If you change your mind in the future and wish to receive marketing or promotional material from us, please contact us.
You can opt-out of customised and targeted advertising we may direct via social media sites (e.g. Facebook) by using one of many online tools such as http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
If you opt-out of our marketing activities, we will still continue to send you required service related emails, such as booking confirmation emails.
- Storing your personal information
OQ will take precautions to safeguard your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
As a general rule, we store your personal information in our electronic databases. From time to time, OQ may engage service providers to store personal information. Such service providers could have servers located overseas. This means that personal information may sometimes be sent overseas for storage, for example in New Zealand and United States of America. We take reasonable steps to ensure that our service providers are carefully chosen and have policies, procedures and systems in place to keep personal information secure.
When your personal information is no longer required and if permitted by law, we will destroy or delete it from our systems in a secure manner. However, we may be required by law to retain certain information – for example, under the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld).
If we are required by law to collect your personal information, we will store and delete that information in compliance with that law.
- Accessing and correcting your personal information
If you wish to have access to any documents held by us which contain your personal information, please contact us (details below).
Please note that we may ask you to make your request in writing and provide us with evidence of your identity (for example, we may ask you to provide us with photo identification, such as a copy of your current driver’s licence or passport).
Please also note that under some circumstances under the Act or other legislation, we may not be able to provide you with the access you have requested.
To effectively conduct our business with you, it is important that the personal information we hold about you is complete, accurate and current. At any time while we hold your personal information, we may ask you to tell us of any changes to your personal information. Alternatively, if you are aware that the personal information we hold needs to be corrected or updated, please contact us (details below). Under certain circumstances in the Act, we may not be required to correct your personal information.
Also, we may not be able to require third parties or our business partners to provide you with access to the personal information they hold about you.
If we decide not to provide you with access to or correct your personal information, we will give you reasons for our decision.
- Dealing with OQ online
We take reasonable steps to maintain the security of cookie and personal information we collect online. If your browser is correctly configured, it will advise you whether the information you are sending us will be secure (encrypted) or unsecure (unencrypted).
We seek to keep current with available security and encryption technology so as to maintain the effectiveness of our security systems. However, no transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure and accordingly, we cannot warrant or ensure the security of any information you provide to us over the Internet. Please note that you transmit information at your own risk.
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors may collect certain information about your visit. Examples of such information may include:
If you have a complaint about how we handled your personal information, please contact us (details below). Please note that we will ask you to lodge your complaint in writing.
- within 14 business days of receiving your complaint in writing – acknowledge receipt of your complaint; and
- within 45 business days of receiving your complaint – investigate the circumstances of your complaint and provide you with a response.
- Our contact details
- via our website oq.com.au
- in writing: The Privacy Officer, OQ, PO Box 5792, West End QLD 4101