Introducing Emporium Hotel South Bank
At Opera Queensland we’re extremely proud of our partnerships.
The support we receive from our partners plays a vital role in enabling us to produce work of the highest quality with the best local, national and international artists.
Our partnerships support programs that allow communities across rural, remote, regional and metropolitan Queensland to experience our wonderful art form through live and online performances, workshops and social events.
To celebrate our partners’ help in bringing people together to experience the joy of singing, we have launched a series of features to introduce our partnerships.
Our partnership with Emporium Hotel South Bank (EHSB) is based on a shared passion for the arts, in particular opera, and a deep belief that Brisbane is a great city with a thriving arts and culture program to offer locals and tourists.
EHSB is the result of the extraordinary vision of Fran and Anthony John who lead a team of respected professionals to ensure Australia’s most awarded luxury boutique hotel in the heart of South Bank always delivers exquisite experiences to their guests.
Phil Hancox, Director of Marketing and Communication at EHSB, shared an update on how he and the team at EHSB are responding to COVID-19.
- How has EHSB had to re-imagine the business model in response to Covid-19?
Our Hotel is open and functioning in terms of its accommodation but we have had to re-imagine our food and beverage outlets and the offerings they provide. We have made the changes to our food and beverage services with care and innovation.
- Belle Epoque, our French Patisserie, continues to serve delicious takeaway treats.
- We have launched Emporium Ready Made Meals in response to the current social distancing rules. We are offering meals designed and prepared by Emporium Executive chefs to be enjoyed by busy executives working from home, families who find themselves juggling competing priorities between home-schooling and work, and our local community who miss their regular dining experiences at EHSB.
- Our High Tea is quite famous amongst our strong local clientele and guests staying at the Hotel, especially on Mother’s Day. This year we wanted to spoil Brisbane mums so we created our own takeaway and home delivered high tea packages so you could recreate the delicious experience you would normally receive by dining in our venue at home or as a picnic … all within social distancing restrictions.
- Emporium Market is our new grocery delivery service that has become popular with our Emporium Apartment residents and other residents of apartments nearby needing essential supplies.
- Our Hibernation Package has been created for people still having to travel for essential reasons, or requiring accommodation that has close access to the South Bank hospitals during this unprecedented time. The package is priced at $175 room rate and an additional $50 includes meals for our guests.
- What has the team at EHSB learnt through this experience?
The power of working collaboratively as a team through difficult times and the creative output that can come from that.
- What are the first things you personally plan to do when isolation restrictions are lifted?
Holiday at the beach, go to the cinema, go to the gym and eat at a restaurant.
- What do you miss most about live performances?
The atmosphere and the tangible energy in the theatre. I miss sharing the experience with an audience of like-minded people filled with the same joy.
- Can you share any tips for motivating staff that you have introduced since COVID-19 restrictions were introduced?
The Marketing Team has a weekly zoom meeting dedicated to ‘bring your dog to work day’ and within the broader organisation we have a ‘check in’ with more than 100 of our team, some of whom aren’t currently working due to the COVID-19 situation. This check in has been important for people’s mental health and keeping everyone feeling connected. Find out more about Emporium Hotel South Bank